Southern Girl In My Own Primal World

Welcome to my blog on nutrition, exercise, and the continual drive to squash conventional wisdom!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Still trucking along...

I guess today is day 5 of my (and Korey's) Whole 30 commitment.  I'd have to say it's no where near as bad as I thought it would be.  It's actually kind of nice having to find other options at breakfast that don't include protein powder.  I'm getting used to a new ritual you could say.  Today, I'll admit, was a little tough.  I'm so used to eating on a regular basis--out of necessity from a medical stand point and simply because I love to eat!  Due to a crazy schedule here at the studio, lunch came a few hours after I normally eat it, so I'd have to say I had a little bit of hypoglycemia.  All was better, though once I feasted on roasted brussels and cauliflower and pulled chicken breast.  There's nothing quite like a roasted vegetable.  Even the ones I find near repulsive (i.e. radishes) in their raw state are actually quite tasty once doused in (insert healthy fat of the day here), salt, and pepper. 
The detox is still ongoing...which is a good thing, but GEEZ.  Was I that mucked up?  It's nothing I can't manage, and if you know me well enough, you know that I rarely feel more accomplished on an average day than when all is functioning the way it's supposed to!  To help speed the detox up, I've been KILLIN' the kale this week.  It has a unique way of aiding nature in pulling impurities out of your body--and it's damn delicious pretty much any way you fix it.  I've made two batches of kale chips this week (yes, during the work week) and I've had it sauteed with my veg med during breakfast.  Those damn kale chips are like little crispy pillows of heaven in a bowl: 
  • 1 bunch kale (I prefer lucinato--the flat blue-green kind) cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 T melted coconut oil (my next round I'm going to try either duck or pork fat!)
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar (raw and unfiltered, of course)
  • Preheat oven to 300.  Douse your kale with the oil and vinegar and spread it evenly on a large baking sheet.  I like to line mine with tinfoil, makes for easy clean up.  Bake for roughly 25 to 30 minutes.  I check mine every few minutes for their level of crispiness (or simply because I'm anxious to devour every last one of them!).  When they're done, take them out, sprinkle with sea salt and your choice of seasoning...I go for a curry blend generally.  Now they're ready to eat--and fill free to eat every last bite!
I'm trying to get Korey on the kale kick but I think he isn't quite sold on it.  He'll get there eventually.  I'm just thrilled about moments like last night:  We are sitting at the kitchen table enjoying dinner and he says, "I really want some more cauliflower mash this weekend."  YAY!  To me, this is shear enjoyment--to see my husband like and request some of the things he'd never have even thought about touching before.  Amazing!  Anyways, that's where we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment