Southern Girl In My Own Primal World

Welcome to my blog on nutrition, exercise, and the continual drive to squash conventional wisdom!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Allow me to introduce myself...

For those of you who may not know me, my name is Blair Meadows.  I'm a late-twenty-something, North Carolina born and bred, used to be overweight and unhealthy girl (now woman, I suppose).  I'm the manager and head trainer at a private personal training studio (Fitness Together) in Greensboro, NC.  Yeah, that's right!  I said I used to be overweight and now I'm managing a studio and personal training for my career!  Let me tell ya...it's been a long, hard road.  I'll get into that on another post, I'm sure, one day.
What brought me to this point--creating a blog, that is--is I'm about up to HERE with all of the washed up, old "wisdom" that is being fed to Americans about "healthy" eating, "appropriate" exercise, and all the while we as a nation are getting fatter, unhealthier, less happy and broke from doctor bills.  It's as simple as this:  What they're saying is WRONG, and it's frustrated me to the point that I felt it was my duty to find an outlet to publicly dispel these conventional myths once and for all!
Truthfully, most of what I do on a daily basis is attack conventional wisdom.  One could understand that folks that hire personal trainers are all victims to what they've been told should work in the past yet has gotten them to point of overall frustration and not success.  Some days I feel like I'm on repeat (hopefully that's not noticeable by the last person that I see in that day!).  To be entirely honest, having gone through my own weight loss journey, I've been subject to every fad diet out there--YES, I spent part of the 90's on the "shake-for-breakfast-shake-for-lunch-sensible-dinner" craze.  Where did it get me?  You probably already know the answer!  I even spent a more recent year on a near-vegan diet, because that is "the healthiest" way to live, right?!  Having experienced it, I can easily say don't go there!  (Again, I'll get to that biggie on another post--probably sooner rather than later!)
Luckily for me (although, I hate to use the term "lucky" because it wasn't out of "luck" but out of shear determination and frustration with being fat and un-sassy), I was able to research myself beyond what is conventionally thought of as "the key" to health, weight loss, and longevity.  This blog is my way of paying it forward:  I see my having been overweight, having done everything and failed, and the long road to success as a blessing in disguise.  I didn't have the help of professionals--JUST MYSELF and my WILL to get it right.  I didn't even have the support of my parents, who being Southern and "well-fed" themselves never saw me as anything other than "healthy" since I had "some meat on my bones." (Insert eye roll and sigh here!)  My goal now that I've found what I believe to be the answer is to shout it LOUD AND CLEAR and turn some very brainwashed views away from what conventional medicine, the media, and food manufacturers have drilled for as long as I can remember.  Keep in mind that I've been a victim myself and I understand how much of a challenge it is to overcome what you've believed to be right all these years.  The question to ask yourself is this:  If what you believed to be right actually is or was, then would you be unhappy with your body, frustrated with your health status, or have tried everything on the market only to simply fail in the end?  I'll let you answer for yourself as well. 
Enjoy my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment